Laravel 8.69, weekly updates, and 🔥 tip

Laravel 8.69

Couple fixes and new features this week brings us to Laravel 8.69.

Here are the highlights:

  • Fix rate limiting unicode issue in #39375
  • Fix CURRENT_TIMESTAMP as default when changing column in #39377
  • Qualify aggregated column in OneOfMany subqueries in #39387
  • Improve content negotiation for exception handling in #39385
  • Make accept header comparison case-insensitive in #39413
  • Add support for SKIP LOCKED to MariaDB in #39396
  • Add custom stringable cast for Models in #39410
  • Add Enum validation rule in #39437
  • Add Str::mask for hiding portion of a string in #39393
  • Allow using a callback in Auth::attempt in #39420
  • Add success and failure command assertions in #39435

You may review the full branch diff on GitHub for a complete list of changes.

This version bump and update is automated for subscribers to a Shifty Plan. If you don't have one of those, be sure to bump your constraint and run composer update to get the latest features.

Weekly Journal

Last week and over the weekend I finished up all of the remaining Human Shifts.

I try to use the end of the month for "clean up" tasks. Most of the time this is fixing tiny boundary cases within Shift's automation. After all of the Human Shifts I had found nearly 50 tweaks.

My process is pretty simply, take a screenshot and give it a filename that guides me in the right direction when I come back to it. I shared this on Twitter, as it's pretty much been my workflow since the beginning of Shift.

This morning, Jess and I merged the alpha version of the Tailwind 3.x Shift she had been working on. We're testing it out on and our blogs before releasing a public beta. Tailwind 3 is still in alpha, but should release later this month.

So we're getting ahead of the game as we also expected PHP 8.1 to be released later this month as well. This week I'll build the marketing page for that and finalize the remaining tweaks I found during the Human Shifts.

🔥 Tip

Most of my existing projects still use master as the default branch name. A while back, GitHub and other services changed the default name to main.

While I have been changing this for existing projects by running:

git branch -M main
git push -u origin main

I don't want to keep doing this for new projects. Especially as GitHub creates them with main in their web UI.

To adopt main (or another branch name), you may configure the default branch name Git uses by running:

git config --global init.defaultBranch main

Now new projects created locally will follow the naming convention of those created via the web UI. 🔥